Friday, November 21, 2008

"Are YOU my host mom!?"

"Are YOU my host mom!?" I remember when I was younger, I would always play board games on the floor of my Grandma Nussbaum's living room with my cousins. One of my favorite games was one that was called "Are YOU my mother?" where the game pieces were little chicks that had magnets, and you had to find your "mother" to whom you connected to (North-South poles).

Now that you've heard my life story :) what connection is there to Paraguay!? Well... some of you know already that for some time, I've really wanted to live with a Paraguayan family. Being surrounded in this German-subculture, where I live, I don't feel like I'm really experiencing Paraguay. Or at least what the average person's life is like.So I talked to some people, and prayed about it (whether or not it would be best for me) and I'm supposed to move next Sunday! The catch: I don't know who I'm going to live with. If you know anything about me, you know that I'm organized and I like to KNOW what's going on (although I'm starting to relax about that a bit). But I have options: Opt 1: A young family, around the age of 25, with an 8 month old daughter. Opt2: (who hasn't confirmed for sure if they can host me yet) A family that is a little older and... that's all I know about them. Both of the families are rreally nice, and I don't think I can go wrong. I'm supposed to find out whether the older family can host me, this sunday, so I'll make the decision then. I'll keep you posted!

P.S. Today I had a new experience on my bus ride to work. Have you ever had a man with a two-foot machete sit behind you? Actually there were two of them. One behind me, and one across the isle, in front. Surely they were just going to work, cutting grass or bushes, etc. and no one else on the bus seemed to give it a second thought. But it was another reminder that I'm not in the US (as if the cachaca music and chipa venders hadn't already done so!)

No comments: